Tuesday, August 30, 2005

A "recipe" in memory of Mother

Though I'm not a "scientific" person, I love reading the Science section of the New York Times on Tuesdays. A lot of the stuff is complicated gobbledegook to me, but there are always one or two (sometimes more) articles that really hit home in a personal way. Today, it's Dr. Larry Zaroff's "One Last Recipe From Mother, for the Good Death." His mom must've been a real peach. She wasn't allowed to really come into her own until she was 80 when her husband died, and then she flourished - running her husband's real estate business better than he had and becoming the "mainframe" communicator in the family. When she had a massive heart attack that she knew was the beginning of the end for her, she wanted a good death for herself and for her loved ones. Read this article.

My mother died March 14, 2004. She would've been 89 years old today, August 30. Zaroff's little story is a great way to remember my own sweet mama.

No comments: