Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Welcome to Shorty PJs

This is a selfish thing to do. It's a way to sort my thoughts and feelings about a wide range of things that crop up by the minute for this 54-year-old. This won't be centered on my family or politicians or movie stars - nope, it's just about what's running through my mind and what I pick up from other women over lunch or a glass of wine.

I'm doing this because I'm tired of having every magazine, website, and blog define me through menopause and Botox. So right from the top - I'm going to avoid health and beauty stuff like the plagues they are and talk about other quality of life issues - work and career changes/challenges, making a difference in the world (even if it means breaking the rules and kickin' a little ass), good books, the arts, connecting with other hilarious, smart, progressive women of my generation.

I'll also try to stay away from the political (though I'm sure my liberal viewpoint will creep in every now and then) - there is too much anger and ranting other places. Who needs it? In short, everyone's welcome - whatever your world view - as long as you're not offended by the occasional profanity or slightly off-color remark.

Here's what's been on my mind lately. What do I want to be when I grow up? Or, have I already done what I was supposed to (from a career standpoint), and the rest is just drawing a salary? This has really got me puzzled. I spent over 20 years as a television producer/writer - mostly at Turner Broadcasting - finally got burned out, taught high school for three years (which I loved, but couldn't survive financially), and now have a marketing/research career at an architecture firm. Love the company and the people, and it does pay the mortgage, but it doesn't feed my spirit/soul. Does it need to? I feel as though I'm searching for a yet-to-be-discovered vocation. And of course, the clock is tick-tick-ticking (another kind of biological clock?).

Oh, I just read a great book called Dream of the Walled City by Lisa Hua Fleischman. Reminded me a bit of Betty Bao Lord's The Middle Heart. I'm usually an cozy English mystery or quirky fiction reader, but the books about early-mid 20th century China have captivated me.

OK, I'll shut up now. For a little while. Maybe.

No comments: