Sunday, November 20, 2005

Painted- and Pottered-out

Painting's done - at least, as done as it's going to be before Thanksgiving. Wish I'd have had more time to putter around with the crown molding, chair rail, and baseboard, but I had to call it quits or things won't get put back in place. There's still so much to do - but, well, it'll happen. I shall put the paint and brushes away until after the first of the year.

The theatre benefit Friday night was great fun, though I don't know how much we made on it. I got a couple of silent auction deals - a $25 gift certificate at a local restaurant for $10 and a gift basket with a one hour massage coupon, chocolates, bubble bath, and tea (all of which will come in handy) for $55. I stayed to clean up after the event and didn't leave the theatre until almost 1am. Slept in on Saturday, of course, before I finished up the painting.

And finally, finally got to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire this afternoon with three 14-year-old boys. The film's very dark and scary - particularly the mid-teen funk of the title character, et. al. - shriek! - but it packed a lot into two-and-a-half hours or so. The only complaint from my companions was in regard to all the stuff that was left out of the film. I had to remind them that if everything had gone in, the running time would've been about 76 hours. Still, they liked it ("The girls are cuter in this one." Hmmm.)

The lesson I tried to teach them was that no film can completely replicate its book - different mediums/media, etc. - so it will behoove them to never skip a reading assignment by watching the film version and hoping it'll be the same. "Just keep repeating 'Harry Potter,' 'Harry Potter,' 'Harry Potter' next time you're tempted to watch the movie versions of Moby Dick or Silas Marner." Yeah - that went in three ears and out three others.

The thing I love about the Potter films is watching all the kids grow up (I know, such a girlie-thing) - not only Harry, Hermione, and Ron, but the others as well: Neville, Draco, Jenny, Fred and George. I can't put it into words - it's just an interesting thing to watch. I still love the first two movies when they were all little kids. Kinda comforting and nostalgically sad at the same time. Ah, me.

Anyway, as for the weekend: Mischief managed! On to Monday -

No comments: