Tuesday, February 14, 2006

What's not to love about Westminster?

I don't mean Parliament, Brit-friends. I'm talking about the Westminster Dog Show taking place as we speak at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

Forget the Winter Olympics. Here are the real champs. All these great dogs in one place! Some are kinda prissy, but most of them look completely lovable, even the Rottweiler (which won its group last night, by the way - a Georgia dog, wouldn't ya' know) and pit bull. It's great to hear the history and function of each breed, see them trot around the floor, stand stock-still, and then show some glimmer of fun-loving personality.

The dogs are great. But I always wonder what's with the trainers who sprint them around the ring - especially the women. I mean, are they required to wear the ugliest shoes and clothes ever? I understand you'd want to be comfortable while showing a dog, but really, ladies! There are some really cute, comfortable flats you can wear. Give me a call and I'll point you in the right direction. And, what's with the brocade suits this year? Does the Westminster Kennel Club select a type of heinous uniform and require the chicks to wear 'em? (The men look fine in their suits and ties.) Just wondering.

The other problem with the Westminster Dog Show is the huge temptation to get yourself one of each breed. The "Awwwwwww" Facter is incredibly high. Ooh! I want one of those! And one of those! And a couple of those!

Ah, well. If you can't watch Westminster (tonight's the last night), pop Best in Show in the DVD and laugh your arse off. Too, too funny! You'll never view a dog show the same way again.

3 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

I totally agree...Best In Show is so hilarious...love it!

petercmoore said...

Dogs! Eurgh! Awful, smelly and incredibly stupid animals. Sorry -I just can't stand 'em.

Christopher Guest's character in "Best In Show" however - Fantastic. Only bettered by the guy doing the all-action sports-style commentary at the dog show.

MaryB said...

And you call yourself an Englishman, PT! Don't tell me you're a "cat" person?

Yes, I love Christopher Guest in Best in Show. "Pine nut, hickory nut, pistachio nut . . ."

Love Catherine O'Hara and Eugene Levy, too. Oh. And Jennifer Coolidge. Great film.