Friday, April 07, 2006

All the news that's fit to print. Or not.

No luck on the apartment front. Very byzantine and weird system here. Seems they don't like the fact that I don't have a previous landlord (I've owned my home for 13 years) or that I'm moving from out-of-town (no paystubs yet from new employer, no NYC references - even though I've presented letters of employment). They want proof that my house has been rented (we're working on that, so shouldn't be a problem), plus a gi-normous amount of money upfront. So I'm still homeless in New York.

But. I've gotten a taste of the new job this week, and it's wonderful. International dignitaries coming and going and a friendly, welcoming, fun staff that makes me feel right at home. Lots of obligatory paperwork for insurance and other benefits, plus getting my travel schedule in order for May, June, July. It's a whirlwind, I tell ya'!

Great dinner last night with my stepdaughter Kerry, who made the move to NY from Colorado last year. She lives in the Bronx, works in Manhattan. I'll probably flop at her place till I can convince some landlord somewhere that I'm good for the rent every month. Anyway, Kerry and I had a terrific time - she'll be a great theatre/concert partner. Can't wait!

Back to Atlanta this evening. Still loving New York. Can't wait to get settled here (still trying to decide between the Brooklyn Bridge or the Triborough Bridge). And I really appreciate all the blog-support on this. Big, exciting changes!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yes, good luck from me too Mary.

I've been reading but keeping my mouth shut [in a nice way].

Off walking for a week now - hope all will go well.

Anonymous said...

The apartment thing seems even tougher than I thought. If anybody can wiggle through their cracks, you can.

Take care to not lose that Suthun charm and grace and voice...