Monday, May 08, 2006

New (Un)realities

Sorry no postings over the weekend. My desktop computer arrived last week, but I didn't ship the boat-anchor monitor since I'm planning to get a flat-screen (as soon as my new bank releases my hard-earned funds - argh!), so the computer's useless to me right now. The battery on my laptop from work went down early in the weekend, so no-go there. Ah, me.

Ready to live vicariously through me? Friend Jay and I went to an experimental theatre production in Brooklyn Friday evening (work-related for him, since he runs a theatre space in Lower Manhattan and is always on the lookout for suitable productions to fill the space). Anyway, we had a nice dinner at an Italian restaurant, then on to the production. I can't remember the name of it, only that it was kinda Billy-the-Kid-meets-Beetlejuice. And the Billy the Kid guy had really hilarious fake buck teeth. Oh, and there was a (male) nude scene. What more could one want for a first real-live off-off-off-off (to the 10th power) Broadway theatre experience?

The rest of the weekend was spent exploring Central Park (it does go on and on) with Bailey - found Alice in Wonderland and the big fountain that's used in every NY movie. We had gorgeous weather so the park was crowded, but it's so big that we were able to find secluded spots amongst the masses.

Here's what I'm enjoying about living in New York:
  • Being within walking distance of just about everything (certainly within subway distance of everything) - deli, flowers, bagels, grocery, pharmacy, and lots of "big box" stores like Best Buys and Petco.
  • Water tanks on top of buildings - very 1930's TCM-movie-intro-ish. You just don't see that kind of thing in Atlanta.
  • Dogs. Everywhere. It's a very doggie city. Very empowering for Bailey!
  • The lights at night. I'm so easily wowed . . .
  • Central Park - endless opportunities for people-watching, strolling, exploring, resting.

Here's what's hard:

  • Having to watch what I buy at the store because I have to carry it my-own-self back to the apartment and up three flights of stairs.
  • Having to live in a studio apartment after so many years of having my own home. It still feels like a hotel to me. Guess I'll get used to it, though.

I do feel the need to get back to my writing. It's been too long; I've been all wrapped up in this life-change and want to return to a more normal routine.

But for now - work! (Still can't comment, by the way. What gives?)

4 comments:

chux said...

NY sounds yum - would love to visit. Glad its all nice for you.

Chris said...

Great to hear from you, Mary. Really miss your comments so hope that blogger chappie gets his act together soon.

Anonymous said...

Who can turn the world on with her smile? No, wait. That's Minneapolis. Glad to see you're taking NY by storm. Something about you reminds me of MTM though. It must be that contagious zest for life. You go, Mary!

Liz Hinds said...

Sounds brilliant. And an apartment is so much more Cary Grant/Audrey Hepburn. I don't know why; it just is.

Harvey says hi to Bailey.

You know that bridge that the kennedy man had the accident off - my word verifiaction sounds like it: qqicgqb