Friday, May 26, 2006

Wonder if I'd run into Samantha or Jack?

It's Memorial Day weekend, folks, and that means only one thing in New Yawk. That's right - Fleet Week. Fleet Week has taken on epic proportions to those of us formerly and currently in the hinterlands (i.e., not New Yawk) thanks to shows like "Sex and the City" and "Will and Grace."

I'm a little confused by the mainstream promotion of the event, however. In truth, it looks kinda boring. Fleet Week is billed as the opportunity to take tours of the ships that are docked at the harbor. Now, this might be OK and certainly edifying, but it sounds like it will mostly be families with little kids or a bunch of old folks (and NO, I'm not an old folk).

But the Fleet Week put forth by primetime TV is something quite different. (Insert knowing wink here) C'mon! Sailors. New York City. Yo-ho-ho and a bottle of something-or-other. Girls. Boys. Sailors. Samantha Jones and Carrie Bradshaw vs. Jack McFarland and Karen Walker. Now there's the Fleet Week I want to witness! Forget boat tours.

Just trying to decide if it's worth my while checking it out. And notice how I didn't say "Helllllllo, Sailor!" even once. Except for there. (Insert another knowing wink)

Ah, well. However you plan to spend the long holiday weekend, make it safe, happy, and a little restful. Now where'd I put the rum?

3 comments:

petercmoore said...

As I couldn't think of a 3-minute story about myself (and I spent all day trying), I'd just like to say that I haven't got the foggiest idea what Fleet Week might be, or what all the "winks" might mean.

And I thought that all American popular culture had made it over here via the movies...

MaryB said...

Well, as best I can understand it, it's the week when the sailors hit town. All at once. They park their big ol' scary lookin' boats at the docks in New York and hit the town. Kinda like an extended "On the Town." (Please tell me you've seen that one - Frank Sinatra, Gene Kelly, etc.) So a bunch of randy men hit town, and well - wink, wink, nudge, nudge, say no more. Except all the newspaper says is something about tours of the ships. Hm.

petercmoore said...

Oh - right - OK, I think I get it now.

Though, I must say, when I read the post first and saw how you'd written "Hello Sailor, wink, wink" I was imagining something a little more pink and camp than "On The Town".

I don't know of any gay, sailor musicals, but I'm sure if someone wrote one it would be a HUGE hit on Broadway...