Thursday, June 22, 2006

Going Home?

I can't wait to get back to stumming my guitar on my fire escape on the Upper East Side. No. Wait. That's Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's. But I might do that, if I every got to be on my fire escape on the Upper East Side.

Do I really live in New York City? I've been away so long, I've forgotten what it must be like, until an episode of "Sex and the City" last night reminded me. I've only spent 4 weekends in NYC since I hit town the last weekend in April. Just when I get used to the place and the pace, I have to leave town. All part of the job, of course, but boy - I haven't been "home" in 17 days and I'm ready to see old Bailey and cook my own food.

We leave this afternoon, so - God willin' - I'll be in my little studio apartment by dinnertime. I'm taking tomorrow off, as are most folks dragging in from General Convention. It'll be good to get back into my Central Park walking routine again.

So far, I'm not scheduled to leave town until the last weekend in July, when I have a mission conference in Amherst, Massachusetts. So I plan to dig right back into New York City - see a play or two, discover the best places to shop (I'm still trying to find those), and get to know some areas I haven't spent much time in, like the Village and SoHo.

I'm soooo in a New York State of Mind. Hello life, Goodbye Columbus. (And thanks for the hospitality!)

1 comment:

MaryB said...

From what I hear, Botswana is fairly stable and doesn't have the extreme poverty, etc., we often hear about in Africa. Still, I want to take the good Bishop up on his invitation.

So glad to be home - have loved reading your posts, as well, since I've been away.

Now for a bit of rest!