Monday, July 03, 2006

Happy Thanksgiving!

One Fourth of July my English "mother" called to wish me a Happy Thanksgiving. For some reason - selective English memory? - Jeannie gets Independence Day and Thanksgiving mixed up. I can sort of see why. Both are patriotic holidays. Both involve the consuming of much food. Both have distinctive celebratory hoopla (one has fireworks, the other parades and football).

During the late 1970s, I spent several Julys with Jean and Aubrey in Walton-on-Thames (about 25 miles southwest of London). One Fourth of July I arrived home in the late afternoon to find: 1) a large Confederate flag towel (bought by Jeannie during a trip to Florida) hanging outside their home, and 2) a slap-up turkey dinner awaiting me.

A teachable moment, see? First, wrong (very wrong) flag. I calmly explained how the fledgling colonies declared independence from Mother England, and as brutally shocking as it was, that's what we celebrate on Independence Day. Mind you, I've always felt the English should celebrate getting rid of us, as well, so I don't know why they don't recognize the holiday. And second, wrong food. While I love a good roast turkey, I just can't get into it much in mid-summer. But throw a hot dog or hamburger on the grill and top off the meal with cold watermelon? I. Am. There. Nevertheless, Jeannie and I still get a good laugh out of the Confederate-flag-turkey-dinner 4th of July. It was the thought that counted, after all.

Yesterday, for instance. The Brennan clan gathered at Aunt Kathy and Uncle Rick's lake home for an all-day pig-out-pre-4th-fest. (OK, the Brennan clan, plus 100 of their closest friends.) Lots of people. Lots of food (see above - and that's just a portion of the "main" course, after two rounds of appetizers and dessert to come!) and beer and wine. Lovely waterfront view of Lake Hopatchong (New Jersey is so misunderstood.) A marvelous time had by all. The only thing that put a damper on the day was the 3-hour drive home (normally 1 hour) as Kerry and I got stuck in George Washington Bridge traffic into the City. Aaargh!

Great family, good friends, fabulous food - a perfect way to kick off the 4th. Something to remember when Thanksgiving rolls around.

2 comments:

petercmoore said...

Hmmm... Hot Dogs!

I'm sitting here, only a couple of miles from Walton, with the windows and patio door WIIIIDE open in the heat and I can smell dogs, and other goodies on local barbecues.

So, if it's OK with you, we shall celebrate your independence with another cold cider (that's the English, alcoholic variety, of course)!

MaryB said...

Celebrate away, my friend. I would think you'd feel well rid of us!

I raise my dog (the hot kind) to you (and wish I had a cold cider, as well)!