Thursday, July 20, 2006

Hot time in the old town

Because our building is completing a lengthy renovation process, the fire alarm goes off around here on a regular basis. The ear-piercing beeps are usually interrupted by a voice over the intercom telling us to ignore the alarm. (As if!)

But today, after 5 minutes of the alarm and an "ignore, please" announcement, a voice comes back over the intercom with "Leave the building! Leave the building!" OK. Will do. Anything's better than listening to the alarm run amok.

Tar-aroma'd smoke (not much) greeted us in the stairwell as we made our way to the ground floor and out the front door. The fire truck was already out front.

But here's the important news: I'm here to tell you that the reputation of good lookin' FDNY fire-fighters is not just some rumor. I mean, these were the cutest buncha guys I've seen since I hit NYC! Yowser!

They tromped into the building, checked out the situation (torch meets tar on roof, causing smoke, causing fire alarm, etc.), took care of it, and tromped back out.

But they sure were cuties! Just another day in the city.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad it was nothing more than smoke and stink...

I see a fireman in your future. His name is Mike. Last name is ... er ...uh ... can't quite make it out but it is Irish name .. O'Something...

Cutie my butt! How could you tell with all that garb on, hat and all?

MaryB said...

'Cuz they put on all the garb after they climb outta the truck. (And you could see their cute faces under those big ol' hats.)

Yep, there might be a little pyromania in my future . . . ;-)

Chris said...

The firemen in this country are mostly gorgeous hunks too and appear to be objects of desire for gay men. A couple of times, when I've been around firemen and gay men at the same time, it's the girls that have to fight for a peek!!

Chris said...

PS I also remember that when I was working the lift would break down regularly and the firemen had to be called to release whoever was inside. It was very strange (but true!!) that it always appeared to be the same girl who had to be rescued and quite afew of her friends always seemed to be in the vicinity at the time. I think she married a fireman eventually.

MaryB said...

Chris - welcome back! I was beginning to think I had the wrong link to your blog. Time to come back to reality, girlfriend!

Hmm. There's a good idea - I don't have to be a pyromaniac at all, I just have to "elevator-challenged."

And, yes, I'm sure the annual firemen's beefcake calendar goes to as many (if not more) gay men as to straight women. What else is new? ;-)