Tuesday, July 11, 2006

You could always Depend on June

A small salute to the late June Allyson, that girl-next-door movie musical icon who died on Saturday.

I actually saw her live and in person once during my Turner days. I was walking through the lobby, and this teeny-tiny woman, who had her back to me, was checking in with the receptionist. I knew who it was the second I heard the voice. And, of course, double-noted the distinctive page-boy hair-do. She was at the studio to be interviewed by Robert Osborne for Turner Classic Movies. Still cute as a button - must've been about 80. But she was so short. Notice that the next time you're watching The Glenn Miller Story or Good News. Or an old commercial for Depend undergarments.

She was no Shelley Winters, but she was June Allyson. Salute - Junie, m'girl!

2 comments:

Reel Fanatic said...

Salute indeed ... I had forgotten all about here until I heard she had died ... She was a truly underappreciated actress

Joy Des Jardins said...

Sad to see June's passing. She was an energetic and beautiful lady. Thanks Mary.

P.S. Hope your writer's block has gotten better.