Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Blog-a-Roni

The San Francisco treat -

As I review my blog-past (anniversaries tend to sputter into reflection of some kind), I'm trying to decide if this space is evolving or devolving. When I started out I had no faithful readers, and I felt incredibly free to just write whatever I felt like writing. But for the past few months, I've felt some kind of weird obligation to try to write to my (known) audience. And I think it's made my posts weaker - trying to please the masses (ha) as opposed to just doing as I damn well please.

So, obviously, I've got to get back to posting whatever the heck I want. You'll either read it or not, but the reason I do this blog is to flush out all the random stuff that floats through my head and blocks the real stuff that needs to come out. It acts as a sort of brain-suppository, as it were (excuse the potty analogy). My blog-writing's all over the place, I know, but that's just how it has to be.

Another blog-thing that's been on my mind is: what if I want to try another blog-system (i.e., change from Blogger to something else), will this be mo' trouble than it's worth? I'm certainly not looking for trouble. I want to keep the design that Christa did for me (where are you Christa??), but I think there might be a more reliable format than Blogger. Suggestions? What works for you?

Wonder how we settled on the word "blog"? I know it's short for web-log, but I think of a log as just a list of things. It's really a journal, but I guess nothing catchy came out of that: "wournal," "bournal," "jeb," "e-nal," "e-J"? OK, "blog" it is.

Please pass the Blog-a-Roni.


7 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Since I just had my 1-year anniversary Monday, I know just what you're talking about Mary. I worry all the time that I'm just going to come up dry one day...nothing to say....at least nothing that will make any sense. Cripes, maybe I've already done that. In any event...YOU need to do what you need to do. This blog is for YOU and you started it for a reason. You sound like you know exactly what you're doing Mary.

You use Blogger, I use Typepad. It's had a few kinks, but they've been ironed out pretty easily. All in all, my experience has been pretty good. I don't know if one is better than the next. I hear complaints and good things from people who use other systems too. I don't think there's one out there that's PERFECT.

Anonymous said...

Now Shorty, you know better than to try to write to your "audience", whoever we/they are. We are fickle. We come and go. We are always different. We are not reliable. Ergo, deal lady, you write for you and you alone. That is what brought us here in the first place. And that will will bring us back. And others too.

Never try to write for us. Write for MaryB. You do great!

Chris said...

Please, please, please write whatever you want. I thing everything you write is well worth reading and always makes me wish that I had the talent to express myself with the wit and wisdom that you obviously possess.

Elsie said...

I have to agree with all the other comments. Just be yourself, Mary, the one we all love.

Liz Hinds said...

Absolutely, Elsie. Mary, I agree with all the others (except possibly Garth whose comment I don't understand!) that your blog is always worth reading. You write just what you want to - and don't worry about entertaining us, because you do whthere it's intentional or not.

Have a great weekend.

Johnno said...

Yes, if you take these comments as a barometer....keep it up!

I LOVE the well thought out graphic with every story.

MaryB said...

Well, geez, guys. The support is over-whelming! It's amazing what little blog-whining can get ya, eh? I promise to write whatever I damn well please, and expect you all to do the same. 'nuff said.