Thursday, September 28, 2006

Cool NY Stuff

Atlanta has cool stuff and Vancouver has cool stuff and Amherst has cool stuff. I have posted for those fine places before. But now I'm in New York, so you'll just have to get used to posts about cool NY stuff. And you know that New York has mo' cool stuff than just about any place. So here are four things that strike my fancy.

There are lots of honorarily-named "places" here. I'm not really sure why certain intersections are named for the likes of Katharine Hepburn or James Cagney or lots of people I've never heard of (not just actor-people). Did Katharine Hepburn live at the corner of E. 49th and 2nd Avenue? Is it where she first met Spencer Tracy? Where she thought the calla lilies were all that and a bag o' chips? Beats me.

If you want to know what color the lights on the Empire State Building are going to be on any given night, check here. That's pretty cool. I see the lights every evening when I walk Bailey.

The New York Film Festival starts tomorrow. Hmm. What looks good? Anything worth traveling to the West Side for, ya' think?

I know I'm marking my calendar for the Great Read in the Park on October 15. Pretty darn good list of authors.

No comments: