Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Goodbye John Lewis, Hello Carolyn Maloney

Took a big step today. Registered to vote in NOO York City. I was going to wait until I found a more permanent place to live, but, oh, what the heck. There's an election coming up, and my polling place - PS 169 Robert F. Kennedy School - is conveniently located right across the street from my apartment. No excuses.

I do hate saying g'bye to my long-time Atlanta District 5 Congressman, the great John Lewis. He's good beyond good, and what most politicians should aim to be. He fought the good fight, got bashed in the head for it, and has always done the right thing for all. A true gentleman.

On the upside, I don't have to suffer the likes of Bubbas, Sonnys, Joe Franks, and Zells anymore. (Still, Southern political hi-jinx are fun to watch . . . ) My new senators are Charles Schumer and Hillary, so I'm OK with that.

Now I must get to know Carolyn Maloney. And Elliot Spitzer. And Andrew Cuomo.

Georgia -well, progressive Atlanta - will miss my vote. Hang in there, Big John. And thanks for representin' me all these years.

No comments: