Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Africa Weird Dream Factory

I haven't slept well since I've been in Africa, and that's very unlike me. Here, I toss and turn (or play on the computer) until 3am, or I fall asleep around 11, then wake up every 2 hours. Sometimes I can go right back to sleep; other times, nope. I'm dead-dog tired, so I'm at a loss as to why this is happening.

However, when I do drop off to sleep for those little 2-hour wedges of slumber, the weird dream factory cranks up to high gear. I will not bore you with details of the rapid-fire, convoluted sub-conscious brain waves that shoot through my cranium in repose. Suffice it to say - weeeeiiiiiiirrrd. These dreams aren't helping the lack of rest situation, I can tell you.

Tomorrow's the last day of the conference in Boksburg. My cohort and I leave Johannesburg at 3:15 for Umtata (or Mthatha) to the south. We'll spend a couple of days traipsing between Umtata and Grahamstown on the coast, then back to Johannesburg on Friday. We leave for Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, on Saturday morning. I have no idea what the internet connection opportunities will be, but I'll post when I can.

Here's a little clip from this morning's Latin America Eucharist service. Again, lousy video and confusing audio, since "We are walking in the light of God" is being sung in English, Spanish, Portuguese and whatever other language folks felt called to use. Hang with it, though, to see Bishops Julio (Panama) and Marecio (Brazil) boogie down the aisle! (I promise to figure out how to edit my YouTube video when I get back home.)




Here's hoping for a solid night's sleep with no weird dreams!

1 comment:

Elsie said...

The audio wasn't confusing, it was great, and I hummed right along.

Enjoy the rest of your experience. Godspeed.