Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Location, location, location

Boy, folks are just dying to get into this place. Evidently, the place to be buried is quaint little Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. Why, this week alone it welcomes two of New York's toniest VIPs, Brooke Astor and Leona "Queen o'Mean" Helmsley. Who knew?

I thought Sleepy Hollow was just famous for Washington Irving's Headless Horseman, but obviously, I was wrong. It's where rich folks go to pull the big dirt blanket up over their tiaras. Yup, the place is just packed with Astors, Andrew Carnegie, Walter Chrysler (yeah, the car-guy), a Rockefeller or two, Samuel L. Gompers (you remember that rabble-rouser from history class, surely), and old Washington Irving himself. Whoa! I am impressed!

Friend and co-worker David lives in Tarrytown and has extended an invitation to spend a weekend with his family sometime during the fall. I'm thinking Halloween . . . Ooooooooooooooo!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I just luurve cemeteries. As a small child I used to visit an aunt who lived adjacent to a very old one and I would spend many happy hours among the gravestones. Weird? Me? Just pass the garlic!

MaryB said...

I'm with ya', girl! I love old cemeteries, too.

Joy Des Jardins said...

Just the name alone would be a draw Mary.

MaryB said...

Joy - how right you are! Who could resist being a part of the Headless Horseman crowd?