Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Thanksgiving Movies Redux

Two years ago I posted a couple of ramblings about Thanksgiving movies. The point was that unlike Halloween and Christmas, there aren't many Turkey Day-themed films. My list contained movies like The Ice Storm and Planes, Trains, and Automobiles that take place around the holiday, but there is a definite dearth of Pilgrim movies (one Spencer Tracy flick, if you're interested).

We have to face it. This hearty group of folks who ventured across an ocean in a rickety little boat just ain't that sexy. At least, no one has found the sex and humor in the Pilgrims landing in Massachusetts and throwing a big party with the Indians after a couple of rough winters. Sounds pretty rich for intrigue (and humor) to me.

If you want to check out my Thanksgiving movie lists, here they be:
Add to these the popular British Thanksgiving film (as suggested by PT): Thursday We All Went To Work As Usual. Har!

Any Thanksgiving movies I'm missing?

I'm still looking for the breakout Pilgrim/Indian/Turkey/Maize film. I appreciate that there is a writers' strike going on here, but surely someone can start working on the definitive Thanksgiving Pilgrim movie, eh? Maybe it will have to be me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't know of any other Thanksgiving films, but there are certainly a lot of turkeys out there.

Liz Hinds said...

Have a great Thanksgiving celebration with your family and friends, Mary. Will you fit in any wedding shopping?

Anonymous said...

I love Planes, Trains and Automobiles. It's hilarious but also has that mushy, heartwarming part at the end. I think the Addams family movie has a scene in which Wednesday goes to camp and they re-enact the Indians meeting the Pilgrims or something. Don't know if this qualifies it as a T-day movie.