Monday, June 30, 2008

And the heavens ring with "Rocky Top"

The saddest news came through today. Forget Carlin, Korman, and the rest of 'em. We lost our dear Winston on Saturday. How will our blog community ever be the same?

When this Tennessee-by-way-of Georgia gal was sent to the heady world of New York City a couple of years ago, it was Winston who sent me grits and Luzianne tea bags so that my Southern cravings could be sated. His downhome wisdom and sense of humor are irreplaceable.

The Tennessee Vols have a new cheerleader in their heavenly fan club.

Winston, I'm glad I knew ye. Rest easy, dear friend.

6 comments:

Liz Hinds said...

We'll miss him.

Anonymous said...

MaryB,
I am so sad with this news today. Winston was always right there with a word of comfort, support and encouragement - not to mention the humor.
Thinking of you too.
Thanks for stopping by my blog today.

Em said...

I was so sad to read about Winston earlier today. I wish I had met him...more than just online. He always seemed like the kind of guy who would have been a lot of fun to hang with.

He will be missed.

Anonymous said...

"I had a really hard time believing this Mary. I was not prepared. I had to read Roomie's words over and over before they sunk in...and still I wasn't sure it wasn't a big hoax by Winston himself...a big joke he was playing on us all. God this hurts.

It just can't be right. Do you suppose it was meant to be that he should follow so close behind his beloved George Carlin up to the Pearly Gates? Oh I can see the two of them planning some nasty shenanigans right now. God love him and his sweet southern soul...I will miss his beautiful heart...for mine is truly breaking. Let's raise our glasses to our Winston....CHEERS Sweet Guy! Love, Joy"

Elsie said...

The world simply won't be the same without our Winston.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know Winston, but from the comments he must have been one great guy. I hope he rests in peace. That "Rocky Top" song, however, drives me nuts (eh, nuttier). Once I hear it (or think about it) I can't get it out of my head!