Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Finally. The Hat.

A couple of years ago, I posted about my need to find a hat that 1) kept my ears and head warm, and 2) didn't give me hat-head. And, yeah, #2 was the more important to me. No matter how the wind howls or the snow blows - and, Zeus knows, there's been a lot of that around here lately - I brave the elements hatless because I just haven't found anything that meets my hat requirements.

Until now.

A few weeks ago childhood buddy Debbi offered to knit me a hat. Guaranteed warm. Guaranteed hat-headless. It arrived last week while I was in Atlanta, but when I got to work yesterday, there it was. In all its glory. A lovely blue, soft confection of a hat, with long scarf-ties, just waiting to be donned and walked around a New York block a time or two.

It is most definitely warm, covering my head and ears. It's thick and soft, not scratchy. The long ties wrap around to keep my neck warm. I can slip the hat off like a hood while I'm inside or riding the subway. And, believe it or not, you ruthless sceptics - no hat-head! It's genius! It's a miracle! It is the coolest - er, warmest - hat ever! And it was hand-made by a friend who has known me since the fifth grade.

In this most blizzardy year ever, my dear friend has knit with her own hands a hat that keeps me protected from the elements and doesn't flatten my hair. Whew. Just in time! A chapeau for the snow that keeps my hair status quo.

5 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

I like it...I like it!! And...you look so darn cute.

MaryB said...

Thanks, Joy! How are you holding up in the big Chicago blizzard of
'11? Stay warm and hang on to something if you go outside!

Unknown said...

I have a grey one and it really doesn't give you hat hair!

Joy Des Jardins said...

Holding up okay here in snowy, cold Illinois Mary. Several feet of snow all around, temps are dropping over the next few days...so we'll have ice to think about too. So far I still have electricity and my roof is in tact...knock on wood. What an adventure.... Stay warm and safe Mary....Hugs, Joy

Liz Hinds said...

And it looks good too!