Sunday, January 06, 2013

Goodbye, Ebenezer

All of my Christmas decorations are carefully packed away, and everything in the house looks normal - though less sparkly - again. Except for the stack of Christmas DVDs next to the TV. I really do mean to make sure each DVD is in its correct box, then put it back on the shelf with all the others, but, well, I'm having a hard time saying goodbye.

There are all the Ebenezers - Alistair Sim, Reginald Owen, Michael Caine, Scrooge McDuck, and George C. Scott. I can do without the Tiny Tims, but the Ebenezers? Why, they all bring me such hope. Sigh.

Then there's Barbara Stanwyck in Connecticut, Bette Davis and Monty Wooly in Masalia, Ohio, the Snowman flying over Brighton then up to the North Pole, Denholm Elliot in Wales, Bing/Danny/Rosemary/Vera-Ellen in Vermont. Well, it's making me sad to pack these people and places away for eleven months.

And don't get me started on my little animated friends - Rudolph, the Grinch, Charlie Brown, Fred Flintstone, Mr. Magoo. December seems so far away. Ah, me.

Now that I look at these old friends all stacked up and ready for re-shelving, I have an urge to break them out just one more time. One more look before next December. Maybe they can stay put for a few more days. Maybe I don't have to say goodbye to Christmas and all my Ebenezers tonight. Maybe. And that's my Epiphany.

God bless us, every one.


No comments: